2008 marks the first (of many we hope) LabourStart Labour Photo of the Year Contest.
The worldwide popularity of the Trade Unions group on Flickr.com suggests that there are a lot of talented picket line and workplace photographers out there. LabourStart would like to both encourage and recognize those talents.
First prize is a two year Pro account on Flickr.com. Runners-up shall receive a one year Pro account. The top three photos will be featured on LabourStart and announced to the 54,000 trade unionists on our mailing list. They will also be displayed in the art gallery on the union island in Second Life.
In addition, LabourStart will work to place the winning photos with labour publications (online and paper) worldwide. And of course it will be featured on LabourStart as our Photo of the Week.
This is a judged and voted competition.
First, photos entered in the contest will be posted on Flickr. Public comments on the photos will be welcomed. A panel of three distinguished trade union photogs will select the finalists.
The winners will then be selected by a vote open to anyone on the LabourStart mailing list. If you've participated in our Labour Website of the Year contest then you know how this works.
Panel: David Bacon, Gretchen Donart, Mac Urata.
1. You may only submit your own work.
2. Only one photograph per entrant.
3. Photos should be, very broadly, of union members in action. At work, in struggle...surprise us! They must have a caption explaining the image.
4. When posting your photo on Flickr you should understand that you are allowing LabourStart to use your photo for contest purposes and to publicize the contest.
5. Entrants may be required to disclose to LabourStart their contact information, including their real names, in order to be qualified. This information will be kept strictly confidential if requested.
6. Photos must be entered via Flickr. If you do not already have an account you can register at no cost at http://flickr.com/. Once on Flickr you can upload your photos to your account. Then join the group you can find here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/labourphotos/ . Then, when you view the photo you want to enter in the contest click on the 'send to group' button along the top of your image. A list of the groups you are a member of while appear. Click on 'Labour Photo of the Year' and you will have entered!
It's simpler than it sounds, really. And we're not getting anything from Flickr for using them, we just think the contest, in addition to recognizing all that photographic talent out there, is a great way to build the Unions group already established there.
Photos must be in place on Flickr by midnight (CUT) on 22 September 2008 to be considered. Voting will start as soon as the judges have selected the finalists.
Contact meat email@example.com with any questions, including help in setting-up a Flickr account or in uploading and entering photos